Then and Now
Holy Cross School was founded in 1953 by The Sisters of Mercy, with a roll of 139 pupils and three teachers, Sister Mary Annette, Sister Pauline and Sister Mary Andrea. Mother McAuley founded the Sisters of Mercy in 1831. She was a woman who dedicated her life to the Christian education of the young, especially those most in need. Her life’s work in Ireland in the early 19th century continues to inspire the Mercy community today.
Holy Cross Papatoetoe has expanded over the years; from those three original buildings to a school with over 600 pupils from Y0-Y8 (Y7-8 girls only), 27 teachers, 23 classrooms and a new hall completed in 2013. Principal Bruce Young and his staff are proud to serve the Roman Catholic Community within the greater South Auckland area.