Ruma Iwa went for our Parish walk to see the people who work here and to look at the places within our parish.
The people who work in our Parish are;
- Father Iosefa is our Parish Priest. He takes care of our spiritual needs and says Mass for us each day.
- Mrs Lisa Southgate is the Parish Secretary. She works in the Parish Office and works with Fr Iosefa to make sure our parish runs smoothly. She does the weekly newsletter and takes care of hall bookings as well as many other tasks.
- Kita keeps our church clean and tidy. She makes sure that our church is clean especially for our Sunday masses.
- Bernie washes the church linen and makes sure that these are always clean.
The buildings in our parish are;
- Our school is part of the parish of Holy Cross and that is what our school is called ‘Holy Cross Catholic School’. We have the Mercy charism because of the Mercy sisters who started our school in 1953.
- Our church is called Holy Cross Catholic church. It is a big parish and has many families. The current church was opened in 1971. The original church was opened in the 1950’s. We have a multicultural parish.
- The parish office is where Lisa works and also where Fr Iosefa has his office. This is attached to the side of the hall nearest to the church.
- Our hall is called the McKean Centre. It is named after Fr McKean the first parish priest of Papatoetoe Diocese.
- Father Iosefa’s house is called a Presbytery. Soon Fr Iosefa will have another priest to assist him. The presbytery is across the road from the church.
Posted In: Arohanui