This term the Year 0-1 students are enjoying the Jesus Strand in Religious Education. Our topic is ‘Jesus – My Friend.’
Prayers we will share in will be: *Hail Mary * Jesus Prayer Deut. 6:4-9
Our Focus is: Catholics believe that Jesus of Nazareth, called Christ, is both human and divine. As a human being, Jesus was born into a particular society and culture, and lived in a certain geographical location, at a precise time in history. To properly appreciate his message we need some understanding of these realities of Jesus’ life. In learning of Jesus’ friendship with his disciples we can come to appreciate his calling us into friendship with him today.
The Achievement Objectives are:
1. Compare ways in which Jesus’ life as a child is similar to the lives of children today.
2. Identify that Jesus who became a human being – our elder brother, tuakana is the true Son of God the Father
3. Identify Jesus’ invitations to be friends with him.
We took the opportunity to discuss the types of food we eat and the type of foods Jesus may have eaten. It was generally agreed that we eat a lot of the foods Jesus dis! BUT he definitely did not eat the processed foods we sometimes do e.g. soft drinks, lollies, fast food like hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza. Jesus food was home made and very healthy…..
Key Concepts to cover will be:
– To learn to be co-operative and helpful through role playing Jesus’ behaviour towards others
– Show a caring attitude towards others while playing games like Jesus played and working together on class activities
– Show love towards classmates in all situations and share family actions and values with others
Intended Learning Outcomes:
We are learning how to:
1. Compare ways in which Jesus’ life as a child is similar to lives of children today.
2 Identify that Jesus became a human being and is the true son of God.
3. Know that Jesus wants to be our friend.
Assessment Tasks: The children will be asked to –
– name 3 things that Jesus ate
– say the Hail Mary
– name 3 ways we can follow Jesus
– retell the story of Jesus and the children